Thursday, May 23, 2013

Brown Butter Pistachio Financiers

I have not posted a baking post recently, for some odd reason nothing has been turning out.  I made bead that would not bake, it was in the oven for an hour and a half and it was still raw.  I Mae lime quotes from my mom, and they were not right either.  They were supposed to be in tart pans, which I did not have.  I figured out the area of the tart pans and then put the recipe in a corresponding rectangular pan.  Did NOT work.  Oy.  So, I needed to make something simple to redeem myself.  I found this recipe in Food and Wine, created by Top Chef winner Kristen Kish.  Finally something came out.  LALALA!  This makes 36 financiers, I got 18...... Not sure why.  I made these with pistachio meal, but I think they would also work with almond flour.  Probably, like, a half cup to two thirds.  Listen to your heart on the measurement.....

7 oz butter
1 c flour
3/4 c light brown sugar
4 large egg whites
3 T sugar
1/4 t almond extract
1 c toasted Unsalted pistachios, ground
1/2 c cake flour
Pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 400

Pam 36 mini muffin cups.

Place the seven ounces of butter in a sauce pan and cook over medium heat.  Shake the the pan periodically until the solids at the bottom turn brown.

Place in bowl and let cool.

Add brown sugar, white sugar, egg whites and almond extract to the cooled butter.  Wisk together.  Fold in the dry ingredients and mix until combined.  Spoon into muffin cups and bake for 15 minutes.  They should rise, but be soft in the center.  Take them out and flip onto a wire rack.  Then my mother will show up and eat them.

No comments:

Post a Comment