Saturday, October 26, 2013

rosemary baguette



As part of my whole recent Barnes and Noble splurge, my m
Joann got The Bread and Soup Cookbook.  It should be called A Damn Treasure Trove of Yumminess.  Guess it does not roll off the young as easily.  I made a root vegetable chowder and a free form hearth bread that my family loved.  So, last night, date night, as in my father takes my mother out drinking and they leave me home, I decided to make the cauliflower and cheddar soup with a rosemary baguette.  This lovely loaf is made in the cuisinart.  I could not believe how easy it was.  I forgot the rosemary, and it was still amazing, and they say to spray the loaf before it goes in.  I could not find a spray bottle, so I just put water in a preheated cookie sheet right after I popped hither loaf in.

Rosemary Baguette

3 cups bread flour
1 package or 1 scant tablespoon of active dry yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water (as hot as your tap will go)
1 1/2 t salt
2 T fresh rosemary leaves

In a medium bowl, combine 1 1/2 c bread flour, yeast and water.  Stir until smooth.  Set mixture aside until it begins to proof and bubble, about 10 minutes.  (Because my parents refuse to turn on the heat, I placed mine next to the stove while I was making the soup.)

In a food processor, combine remaining flour, and salt and pulse to blend.  Add e proofed dough to he bowl and process until the dough ball spins around about 25 times.  This can be a challenge to count.

Turn the dough (it will be fairly soft) out onto a floured work surface .  Invert a bowl over the dough and let rise until doubled in bulk, about an hour.  I greased my bowl with Pam, it was a good move.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 475.

Dust 2 baking sheets with flour.  Divide dough into two logs about 19"-20" long.  Place loaves diagonally on baking sheet.  Using a knife, slash the log about 5 or 6 times.  To be honest, my logs were gnarly, but it was fine.  Spray generously with water.  Bake each loaf, one at a time for 20 minutes, until golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment